THE GROWLER BREWERY
“A young man dreamed of a brewery, producing the finest hand-crafted beer. A beer, worth every unit per case!! In a land of immense history, natural fertile space ,the climate and soil so fittingly adhere.. the texture of the blend, the taste of the prize,Since 2002 produced to surprise…”
The Growler Brewery is situated in Hartbeespoort, informally also known as “Harties”, is a small resort town in the North West Province of South Africa, situated on slopes of the Magaliesberg mountain and the banks of the Hartbeespoort Dam.
At Growler Brewing Co, we followed the same approach as a growing number of small producers that have started making a mark in the market by blending local ingredients to try and achieve unique and distinctive flavors that are quickly winning consumers’ taste buds.
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS
We are a small brewery with a capacity to brew 10,000 liters per month and are looking to double this in the near future.We use nothing less than the finest ingredients and an abundance of crystal-clear water to supply our brewery.
“There is such a (huge) demand for Craft beer right now and we have the capacity and the facilities to expand our operations to support this growing demand”
There are very good reasons for contract brewing, most notably among them the prohibitive costs of setting up a craft brewery from scratch.
Throughout South Africa there are 1000’s of awesome “Home Brewed” beer developed by some talented Brewers, that have had measurable success in attendance in local craft festivals. However the the licencing and the difficulty in getting equipment and all of the logistics are challenging and a “barrier” to entry to the Craft Beer Market.
Growler Brewing Co are able to offer the “small” guy out there the opportunity to brew “his/her” own beer and take their product to the retail market.
The company deals with issues like branding, marketing, recipe development and sales and the actual brewing process in our own brewery.
We have extensive experienced Brewers and proven track record of Lager and Ale brewing. We are passionate about great beer quality.
We have quality Brewing equipment and contracted the services of some seasoned brewers to ensure the consistency and quality of the products.
Our range of services include the following:
- Contract Brew of Lager and Ale ready for small pack.
- Contract Brew and Package for the on-trade in keg.
- High Gravity Brewing.
- New Product Development within the Micro Brewery.
- Small scale Bottling (2,000 Bottles per day line).
- Flexible Brew lengths with runs of 1000 Ltrs in the micro brewery.
The Growler Brewery facility is planning to undergo a expansion programme. (Which will increase the capacity at the site along with modernizing the equipment and machinery.)
The site currently offers:
- 16 Acre site
- Micro Brewery and small & scale bottling facility
- 1000 Ltr/day brewing capacity
- 4 x Pressurized jacketed stainless steel ageing tanks
- 4 x Fermenters
- 1 x Electrically driven malt crusher
- 2 x 800 liters stainless steel mash tank
- 2 x Counter pressure bottle filler
- 2 x 3 cub meter stainless steel boiler
- Extensive warehousing and distribution facilities
Meet our brewer Sean Watts
Well… If you asked our brewer, he might say: “There isn’t one. That said, there is a Beergineer.”
And then, he will wait for you to ask what a “Beergineer” is…
So, we have a “Beergineer”.
He has brewed at home for 13 years. Been a Beer Judge Certification Program accredited beer judge for 11 of the 13. Has been the Chair-person of both the Pretoria and Johannesburg chapters of the Worthog Brewers Home brew club…
A other things we didn’t know about our brewer on Day 1…
- Is listed by Lucy Corne a.k.a. The BrewMistress as one of RSA’s “Alestars”. http://brewmistress.co.za/south-african-alestars/
- Was one of the first six people to qualify as a BJCP beer judge in RSA – the first RSA judges were also the first people to qualify outside of Northern America.
- Organised the biggest Home-Brew and Craft-Brew competitions in the history of Beer in RSA including the 2011 SA National Homebrew Competition (Sponsored largely by SAB Miller), which was the first truly NATIONAL Homebrew competition and recorded 71 entries.
- Took 3rd place in the 2012 National Home-brew Championship (Sponsored by Sedibeng Brewery) for an American Stout. For both events he conjured the prize sponsors.
- Organised the first National Craft Brewer Championship in 2013, and is still involved. The 2015 Championship garnered 125 entries. Also sponsored by SAB Miller.
- Was the man behind the “One Beer” yeast vials – an inexpensive alternative to imported yeast – sold by The BrewMaster. That two year project lives on in the form of 30 yeast cultures in a fridge in Randburg.
- In 2012 brewed 39 beers in 42 consecutive weeks, 4 were the beers used in Moritz Kallmeyer’s magazine talk at the Worthog Brewers Pretoria chapter meetings.
- Has eaten his cereal with a fork…
- Organised 5 Worthog Brewers Summer Beer Festivals.
- Holds a Neuro-Linguistic-Programming Practitioner certificate and two Master Practitioner certificates covering Coaching and Ericksonian Hypnosis.